Bedfordview, Johannesburg, Gauteng - Property, Accommodation and Conference Venues

Information on Bedfordview situated in the Johannesburg Region of Gauteng in South Africa including information on property, conference venues and accommodation
South African Information - Property, Accommodation, Conferences
Information on South Africa
Custom Search
 

South Africa Info Quick Links


South Africa Info Home
World Cup 2010 in South Africa
Accommodation in South Africa
South African Conference Venues
Property in South Africa
About South Africa Info
Contact South Africa Info
Links to South African Sites
South Africa Info Sitemap



Bedfordview, Johannesburg, Gauteng - Accommodation, Property and Conference Venues


South Africa > Gauteng > Greater Johannesburg Region > Bedfordview

Accommodation in Bedfordview, Johannesburg, Gauteng
Property in Bedfordview, Johannesburg, Gauteng
Conference Venues in Bedfordview, Johannesburg, Gauteng

Bedfordview in the Johannesburg Region of Gauteng, South Africa
Bedfordview is situated in the East Rand region of the Gauteng province of South Africa. Bedfordview has been part of the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality since 2000. The Eastgate shopping centre is located in Bedfordview.

Although the area around Bedfordview has been inhabited by bantu-speaking peoples for thousands of years, the written history of the area commenced with the arrival of white settlers in the 19th Century. The site of Bedfordview was largely taken up by the farm Elandsfontein, and was administered as part of the District of Potchefstroom in the South African Republic. The coat-of-arms of Bedfordview features an Eland holding a fountain as a tribute to the early rural history of the town.

The Witwatersrand Gold Reef had a huge impact on the area. Elandsfontein was purchased for the mineral rights, and was later divided into smaller farms and small-holdings, many of which were settled by retired miners. The entire area became known as Geldenhuis Estates Smallholdings. One of these farms was owned by Sir George Herbert Farrar, a randlord who played a prominent role in planning the infamous Jameson Raid, one of the main causes of the Second Anglo-Boer War. His farm, Bedford, was located in the present-day suburb of St Andrews, and parts of the original farm can still be seen in St Andrews' School. The farm itself was named after Sir Farrar's home-town of Bedford in England. Apparently the raid itself was planned in a small house close to the farm. Sir George is buried in Milner Ave, close to the school, the only official grave in the town.

The name "Bedfordview" came about as the result of a competition in 1926. A girl who won the competition thought there was a nice view from Bedford Farm. "Bedford View" was then registered. Over the years the name has contracted to one word.

By 1932 the small-holding had developed into a small village. The 1st Bedfordview Scout Troop opened its doors on 26 July 1928, there was a government school and a post-office. However, there were major health concerns. Bill Stuart, headmaster at the school recalled that sewage would run down Van Buuren Road from Malvern East and that the piggeries and other farms caused swarms of flies. There was talk that the area should become part of a municipality in order to deal with the matter, and residents were asked whether they would prefer to join Johannesburg or Germiston. Joining a municipality would mean rates and taxes though, so the residents elected instead to set up a health committee to sort out the problem. This later developed into the Bedfordview Village Council and then the Bedfordview Town Council.

 

©2008 South Africa Info - Information on South Africa Including Property, Conference Venues and Accommodation in South Africa